Effortless BBQ Roasted Chicken
At Spicy Rooster one of my goals is to make healthy great tasting food easy for busy families. That means I want it to be easy to make and enjoyed by everyone. Spicy Rooster BBQ Roasted Chicken is definitely a family favorite for both of those reasons.
1 Whole Chicken 4 - 5 lbs. (If I am going to roast a whole chicken I like to add a few extra bone-in chicken breasts as well, everyone loves leftovers not to mention you can turn any leftovers into a great chicken salad)
Spicy Rooster Organic BBQ Blend
1 Tbl. Canola Oil
1 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
1 gallon of water
Recommended but Optional Brine: Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry. Place the chicken in a chilled salt water brine, cover and place in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours.
2. Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse under cold water and pat dry. Tuck the wings underneath the bird (don’t worry too much if they don’t stay tucked – you tried). Tie the front legs loosely together with kitchen string. Generously coat the outside of the bird with Spicy Rooster Organic BBQ Blend. (For simple roast chicken use Spicy Rooster Everything Blend. For a fun twist try roasted chicken with our Curry Blend!)
3. Heat the oven to 475º F, while the bird is shaking off the chill from the fridge. When the oven is really hot, about 20 minutes later, add the oil to a skillet large enough to fit the bird with room to spare, and place over high heat. Swirl around to distribute the oil while the skillet gets really hot, about 3 minutes.
4. Place the trussed bird, breast-side up, in the skillet (a hot skillet prevents the chicken from sticking to the pan) and place in the preheated oven. Roast for 40-45 minutes (the bird will get very brown, so tent loosely with a piece of foil if you think it’s getting too brown).
5. Remove from the oven and check the the temperature with a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, making sure it doesn’t touch a bone. The temperature should be 165º when it is finished, so if it is below that, return the chicken to the oven and check the temperature every 5 minutes to make sure it doesn't overcook.
6. Remove the bird to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
You can also make a quick Spicy Rooster BBQ Sauce if you want to be saucy!
Spicy Rooster BBQ Sauce
· ½ Cup Ketchup
· 3 Tablespoons Spicy Rooster BBQ Blend
· 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
· 3 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
· 1 Tablespoon Honey
· 1 Dash Hot Sauce
· (If you like your BBQ sauce on the smoky side add a dash of liquid smoke)